Monday, June 23, 2008

"Books, old friends that are always new"

I've been working on a longish post. It wasnt supposed to be such a long one but once I got writing I wanted to note down *every* little thing that happened. I justified it saying that I was giving a very detailed descrition so it would help later on if any one wanted to do something similar. I am already 900 words down and on re-reading I find that there is not a single useful fact. Maybe I'll add some bullet points at the end of the post and it wont be so bad. Anyway, a friend said he found HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy strange. My own sister thinks the same. The problem is I have never been able to justify my fondness for the same.

I insisted my friends buy the book for me on my 17th birthday because I had seen the author Mr. Douglas Adams on an edition of Hard Talk and I fell in love with the book..
I've pondered long and hard over why I love the book and come up with the following answer :
[No, not 42 :) ]
1) Its frickin funny!
Yes, there is the great plot and sub-plots and characters and vision but mainly its humourous..
2) I know I can (and I have done so on numerous occasions) pick up the book, open to a random page, start reading and be guffawing within the next ten minutes. I even took it with me for my two months training in Trivandrum.


The second point is, most people would say, more of an effect than a cause of loving the book. But I dont know because at some point it becomes cyclic. That because I know I can depend on the book to alleviate bad moods, I love it even more.

Oh well, I do hope you give the book one more shot. If not, I wish you have a book, any book, that means as much to you. [And do let me know which one it is]

p.s. - The title is from a poem by Andrew Lang

8 comments:

mm said...

hmm... this makes me want to try reading HH's guide :-) maybe i will ! my favourite go-to book(s): most by P. G. Wodehouse, and (recent addition, a little embarrassing to admit after a great name like PGW hehe) the harry potter series lol :-D

Huzaifa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Huzaifa said...

oh please,

We both know why you love the book so much...cause one of the characters reminds you of me :-D

Ramya said...

yes, Huzaifa.. Its *all* about you :)

Ramya said...

mm, do begin to read Hitchhiker's Guide.. I hope you'll like it and reward me handomely for the recommendation :)
I'm re-reading Wodehouse's School stories right now and chuckling like a crazy person.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.