Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cooking

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Cooking is a lot like that too. Especially for beginners. DO NOT think about the picture in the recipe book or package while cooking.
Think about the day in the office, that Simpsons episode, make your wishlist, convert 30 degree centigrate to fahrenheit, make weekend plans, trace your family tree.

Somewhere between calculating the value of PI to the 5th place, coming up with a fitting reply to that colleague's remark and cursing the person who jerked the hand that held the open garam masala packet, somehow
the food becomes, oh, not like the picture in the recipe[it *never* becomes like that. Those are air brushed] but something quite edible.

4 comments:

Dhruv Matani said...

It may not be a pretty sight, but I'm sure it was a foodie's delight....

Ramya said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dhruv. But not all of us can be as good a chef as you. I know, I know it takes practice but I think it takes a certain amount flair too.

Tanushree said...

Cheese cheese lots of cheese.. one can never go wrong with Cheese.. I even put some in my dal the other day..ok dont try that home.. :)

Ramya said...

Tanushree, I agree about cheese. And chocolate to cover up baking mistakes. But cheese in dal, I think I will pass.