Tuesday, August 24, 2010

must..find..topic to write about

I've been itching to write. Except I don't really know what to write about. The easiest thing to write about is one's life - since you know it firsthand. But my life, of late, has been reduced to eating insane amounts of Things That Are Bad For You and sleeping. Not quite the stuff that makes for edge-of-the-seat narration. I also want to write stories. Again the lack of a subject or topic stalls me. This is why I liked English Language papers in school.
Apart from the few grammar related questions ( that were thankfully few and far between also possible explains the lack of obedience to Grammar Goddess on this bit of internet that I call my turf) there were comprehensions, where one read what others had written and essays and letters. The last two would take up a great chunk of the exam time and were the most fun. Although for letter writing one had to fit in the standard address (on the upper right corner), salutation (hope this letter finds you in the pink of health) and ending (Convey my regards to your parents and love to Sandy, your pet dog) the middle was all ours to write as per the topic of course. The essay it got better. They gave you a list of topics.
There were different kinds of essays:-
Autobiographies were mostly (and a little strangely) inanimate objects.
Debate topics where one had to pick one side (it was rumoured that in one school at one time the topic was actually "Hey teacher, Leave us kids alone") and argue it out giving (mostly made up) examples.
Stories where they would give you the first line and you could take it anywhere you wished.
The "what if" (what would you do if you were PM for a day) scenarios.
And the standard summer vacation, my ambition etc topics.
Not all of them were great. Most times, I chose the subject by process of elimination. Often there were complaints that the previous years had better topics. But I had direction and pen in hand, paper to fill and time to kill.
I were just playing the hand I was dealt. But now, when I can write about literally anything I please, my page lies empty.

2 comments:

Pascal said...

Too many options too can be crippling.

Ramya said...

exactly! sometimes the fact that I've chosen between tea and coffee should be enough.