Thursday, August 12, 2010

Of resolutions,running

Its been a while. Oh you can put away the ear muffs, I'm not about to launch into the Staind song.
Its silly how I dont do the things I enjoy. I *like* writing. And walking, trying to run and then lapsing to a walk. And making little craft things that I should have grown out of. And (i know this is going to souund terribly vain but) reading
what i've written or seeing things I've made. But its all going to change now. Because Life is Short. This wasnt some sort of epiphany. But a slow, reality kick as I ate the last of my yummy birthday brownie baked (yay, an alliteration) by
Drashti. What's the point if you arent doing what you like when, and this is important, you can do it.
Independence Day is coming up. There's a 5 km run organised by Vibha (http://wiki.vibha.org/Dream_Mile:2010_DC_Home) if you are in the area. Its for a good cause.
After my last debacle (though i did complete it) at the
AOL 5 km Spring into Summer, I had resolved to become better. If not faster, then to gasp less like an 80 year old. Of course, this resolution met an early demise and currently haunts the Graveyard of Noble Resolutions since peace is denied to the unfulfilled. So for the sake of your resolutions, think carefully before making one and letting it loose.
The race is 7 days away. Well now 3 days away. Because like the running program, the blogging program was also postponed. I'm indiscriminate like that.

When i looked up online, there was very reassuringly named program called Couch to 5K. Sounded good so . I found out
a) its not free
b) its not a crash course but a long, drawn out routine as it should be.

So I decided I'm just going to have a go at it and try not to make the same mistakes I did last time. What made last time a debacle:-
1) No preparation. No strategy. (Unfortunately, still holds true for this time)
2) No appropraite ipod playlist. Yes, yes I should be able to run to the sound of nature and rhythm of my breathing. But I'm not there yet. I need loud music delivered straight to my ear to be able to take the next step. And having Song
2 by Blur followed by Scarborough fair by Simon and Garfunkel confuses the adrenaline producing adrenal gland(yes, i needed wiki for that) and messes up the brain. Should I run ahead towards the finishing line and glory and gatorade
or should I stop and weep because I'm tired and I don't need to do this and the song's so sad and beautful.
3) Had gotten new shoes, the foolish ass that I am.
4) Did not drink water during the 2nd water stop. The reason, i didnt drink is that the first time I did and my stomach started hurting. So I really should practise jogging and drinking water and jogging again.
5) I believed in the treadmill metrics. Dont. The treadmill/gym miles are nowhere close to the real world miles. In the outside world, the concrete is not as kind to the knees, there's wind (never in the direction you want it) and sunshine
and rain(if you're unlucky) and other runners.
6) Did not eat too well. I was also nervous since it was the first time I was going to drive solo without any sort of supervision - neither passenger seat nor remote.
7) Did not focus.
8) Went to the last of the line with the walkers. I'm not saying I should push ahead to line up with the serious runners( like the guy who crossed the 5 k for the second time seconds after I finished for the first time. Showoffs). I know I will
eventually get tired and walk but people rise to expectations and all that. If I set myself down as a walker who jogs occasionally rather instead of a jogger who occasionally walks, there go any hopes of a decent time.

The most heartbreaking mistake i made:-
The timing chip was nestled in my pocket as I panted my way through 3.1 miles. Its supposed to be tied onto the shoe. So I did not register. In effect, officially, I did not really run the race. Though the sweat and the pain and the exhaustion was all too real. Then again so was the joy of completing the damn thing.

Of course, I would have made a lot more mistakes if I hadnt read up a little and found this very useful post:-
http://badbenkc.blogspot.com/2007/09/proper-t-shirt-etiquette.html

Also, apparently, jangling keys, while fun to distract a baby, is a no-no for the same reason out of courtesy to fellow runners.

No comments: