Thursday, December 31, 2009

Mad scramble to fulfill last year's resolutions

I don't really know how to use spreadsheets. I just use them to store values that I manually feed. Sometimes I might venture a "sum" or "if" but that's about it. Which is a shame because I see people use spreadsheets to do so many things. They truly harness the power of spreadsheets in their daily work. They also make all sorts of wonderful graphs and charts. And who doesn't like colorful drawings, ahem, diagrams? So I decided I'm going to learn me some graphs in excel. After fiddling around a bit and looking for data worthy of being represented by my very first graph, this is what I came up with:



While its a nice looking graph - its got symmetry going for it but the numbers that they tell are shocking, simply shocking. I've been slacking off in the blogging department. To rectify this, I've decided to try and up my previous high of 11 (back in 2008) this year. So I have 8 1/2 hours to complete 5 posts. But don't worry, unrealistic commitments is my forte and the pressure wont affect the quality *at all*. In subsequent posts, we could discuss such controversial questions as "How much chocolate is too much chocolate?" and the followup "Is there such a thing as too much chocolate?" And there is always the question that has haunted philosophers and which, truth be told, has become the 'summer of 69' of questions, "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

No comments: